December 8

Teeny Tiny Loose Parts

Students in Grade 3 and 3/4 created designs using our 3D printed winter trees. The challange was to use some very tiny parts and to create one large decorated tree with our designs. The students agreed that next time they would communicate their ideas before they started and I learned to use a smaller tree. The little parts were tricky to manipulate and the students enjoyed the challenge.

 

November 24

3D Printing

This week we were able to get the 3D Printer up and running. Students were interested in watching the printer in action and had lots of questions. We are looking forward to using the printer to show learning.

We set the printer up in the window so passing students could check out the progress.

September 14

Deciphering Construction Blueprints

We began our school year in the Learning Commons by sharing the wonderful Each Kindness by Jacqueline Woodson. Students discussed the importance of never missing an opportunity to be kind. We also had fun with Munsch’s Mortimer and built our beds with the lego.

Some classes problem solved to see if they could decipher the construction blueprints for the new school addition. Students were very interested to figure out the symbols and plans. We also designed our own school – complete with basketballl hoop in the library!

April 28

Cherry Blossom Origami

As the seasons change we have been updating our hallway tree. This week we added cherry blossoms. We made these from origami fortune tellers. This can be a great opportunity for a the handful of students who already know how to make these to take a leadership role in the classroom. Made from dollar store origami paper.

March 16

Mighty Women Revisited

This term another class was interested in learning about and creating Mighty Women.  A third class will be beginning the activity after Spring Break.

The project begins with lots of discussion about diversity, imposed gender roles, inequality and the traits of a leader. We also spent time on body image and Barbies’ impossible physique.

Students began by discovering possible subjects to research. From these names, Mighty Women were assigned based on reading levels of available print materials and to ensure a diverse, global mix. Both online and print resources were used to complete research.

Students were asked to focus only on the most important facts so could only include what would fit on one library card.

Materials were organized into baskets. We switched to ziplocs when we began sewing to keep the pins and needles accounted for. Dolls were $1.25 – funded by the Book Fair – available at Dollar Tree.

After designing the costume, students used a step by step slide share on how to complete the sewing – available here. Fabric ends from Thrift store – funded by the Book Fair

The Slideshare allows each student to proceed at their own pace. For many students this was the first time they had done any sewing. No materials were to be brought in from home and no work could be taken to complete at home.

We used book stands from past book fairs to display the dolls. The stands were cut down the middle.

Students photographed their dolls and used Superimpose app to place them in appropriate settings. All of the work was uploaded to the student’s digital portfolio.

Amelia Earhart digital work in progress.

February 20

Coast Salish Basket Design

Students in Mme. St.James’ class have been learnng about all of the dfferent ways the South Coast Salish Peoples used the Western Red Cedar and why it was called ‘The Tree of Life’. We focused on the patterns used on the baskets and were inspired by traditional designs to create our own baskets. We filled the baskets with a representation of the soft inner bark of the Yellow Cedar that was used for bedding and hung the baskets on our cedar tree.

February 20

Building a LARGE Coast Salish Plank House Model

Students in Mr. Gauvin’s Grade 4/5 class were encouraged to apply what they had learned about Coast Salish long house design to creating a much larger model in the Learning Commons. The students worked in teams with each group having different responsibilities. As the project progressed, students shifted teams so they could try different aspects of the building. It was a great success.

One team was solely responsible for cutting of tape ready to use. This made the process a lot smoother and helped prevent lost tape ends. Another team made the support poles with rolled paper and rafia.

Boxes of discarded books waiting for disposal were used as corner supports.

‘Smoke’ was added to the central post.

We did not have any good cutting tools so the cardboard was used as is.