I am so pleased with how the genrification arrangement is being embraced by the students. In this first week, students have been very excited to read newly discovered books and are finding it much easier to find the titles they are interested in. Click here to see the genres and the step by step process we used. This was the second library I have switched over to this system and it went much quicker this time around. I was less worried about where to place books that fit in more than one genre: cross-over is good and gets students exploring several areas.
This time around I had students complete the final alphabetization within each genre. I had to look away whilst they pulled everything off the shelves 😬 but they were able to complete the task before the end of class.
We have nine genres, the largest is a combined Fantasy and Science Fiction.
As an added plus, I have relabelled both the english and the french non-fiction collectons, playing fast and loose with Dewey and making books much easier to find. French resources are now clearly deliniated, call numbers don’t ‘wrap around’, faded labels are easier to see and dated call numbers adjusted to reflect contemporary thought. (One short paragraph – months of work) Here’s the before and after: